Monday, August 1, 2005

Positive Thinking: The Ugly Truth

I first met Madalyn Sklar at the 2NMC conference in Nashville about two years ago. She's the founder of GoGirlsMusic.com, described as "the oldest and largest online community of indie women musicians." I immediately liked Madalyn and her positive vibe.

A recent visit to her IndieMusicConsulting.com blog made it clear why I sensed I had met a kindred spirit. Madalyn considers herself an optimist and is unapologetic in wearing the label. Check out one of her recent posts:

I live my life being an optimist. Do you? When you are sitting down, writing your goals for your music career, are you thinking in a positive light?

Positive + Goals + Focus = Success! That is what I believe. Be positive. Set goals. Stay focused. Achieve success. Yeah, it's really that easy. But, are you an optimist or a pessimist? Do you take responsibility or do you blame others?

Stay strong. Stay on track with your goals. Have fun. Inspire someone. Inspire yourself.

Madalyn has a great attitude. Sadly, it's a frame of mind that seems to be in short supply -- especially among aspiring musicians. Too many creative people prefer to buy into the struggles of the "real world" and discount all the "positive thinking stuff" as delusional mumbo-jumbo.

Here's my philosophy on this: I choose to believe that every human is born with an innate ability to live effortlessly, happily, abundantly and creatively. But, too often, people lose touch with their natural connection to this positive flow. Through fear, worry and other negative thoughts over time, they get disconnected from their true potential.

(I know all about this, because like most people, I've spent a lot of time in that disconnected mode throughout my life.)

One way to reconnect with the flow is to regularly remind yourself of more empowering thoughts and ways to process the world around you. It took a lot of pessimistic thinking effort on your part (not to mention discouragement from others) to block the connection, so it usually takes a little work to unclog it and get back to your natural state of living life to the fullest.

Is it worth the effort? Absolutely! And that's my reality -- whether someone wants to call it mumbo-jumbo or not. And I'm sure Madalyn would agree with me :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment